Thursday, November 25, 2010

Giving Back...

I have been thinking of getting involved in some voluntary social activities for about 3-4 years now. All the past attempts failed for some or the other reason. The other day I was thinking about how to find some way to give back to the society, and as if a wish comes true, the community program committee at office dropped an email asking for people to volunteer. I decided that this was an opportunity to go beyond a registration, so I volunteered to teach children on the nearest scheduled day i.e. today. Somehow, I missed the meeting yesterday, yet I got talking to someone today morning and came to know that the volunteers are visiting a nearby school today. A sign!
Well, so I went there and taught these children for about 3 hours. We read an adaptation of Gulliver's travels, did some exercises, learnt new words and even a song. Since the children did not know any English song, I taught them one of the easiest ones..."We shall overcome". I chose this one since it was easy to learn as it is based on "Hum honge kamyaab", and also because I find this song very inspiring (that was the mood for today :-))
When I returned to office, I felt refreshed and energetic. The work somehow seemed better :-) And when I had to stay back in office till late, I didn't mind it...in fact, accomplished another pending task!
Today was a good day, all in all. A simple act of giving back (through a medium that I absolutely love) made a difference to my efficiency. I think I should try this more often.

No comments:

Post a Comment

No anonymous comments, please.