Tuesday, January 5, 2010

An Inspiration

First of all, a very happy new year to all. May 2010 bring more happiness and peace to the world!
My wishes are coming a little late, since the kids and I were ill for last few days. With small children, it is almost a cycle of being well and being ill. Some days are pretty hard.
So I decided to write about someone who inspired me and will probably always do. I do not know him at a personal level, but whenever I am reminded of him, my head bows in respect. It was the year 2005, and I was in the hospital going through a miscarriage. I was totally shattered and feared that may be I would never be a mom etc. Any one who has lost a child would understand what I felt in those moments. But then, this doctor came to do an ultrasound. He told me and my friend, Reema, that he was deaf and he would converse with us by reading our lips. His voice was not easily comprehendable, but the fact that he was saying these words inspite of being deaf awed me. Then, he told us he a little about himself, his home country, his resolve to be a doctor etc. I never felt so small as I felt then. There was this man, obviously a winner despite the unfairness life had offered him. And there I was, crying over a lost child! He told me I would definitely conceive again, be a happy mom etc. The most surprising thing that happened that day was this. I said something to Reema while this doc was not even looking at me (he could not see how my lips moved), but he replied to me before Reema could say anything. Then, he saw the surprise on my face and said he had trained himself to multitask (looking at the monitor and lip reading) and also, he could recognize emotions on people's face. I was just speechless!
I have heard about miracles, people surviving disasters, people like Stephen Hawking. But that was the first time I actually met with someone like that. And it was amazing to see someone so strong willed.
I would be lying if I said that since then, I have not cried for small things in my life. I have, because I am not perfect in any way. But when the things are really tough, I do remember this doc and I tell myself - everything will fall into place if I have the courage to take that first step.
I am at a loss of words now as I was then. But I would keep posting inspiring moments in future posts.

No comments:

Post a Comment

No anonymous comments, please.