Sunday, January 10, 2010

Living in Moments

Sometimes, life gives you so much in a moment which brings warmth to your heart and a smile on your face to last for the entire day, may be days. And when you do start being grateful for such moments, they become a more common happening in your life. I have been observing this for a few days now, with myself. Here are some of the moments I am thankful to God for:
* All of us are in the car - me & hubby in the front seats, arguing about something. The kids are sitting at the back, chatting away in their own language (they understand each other so well, despite the fact that younger one hasn't started speaking!). Suddenly, everybody becomes quiet. I look back to check on the kids and what I see simply makes me go wow! My daughter is holding her little brother in her lap, constantly kissing him and baby-talking to him; while he just smiles away, glowing as he is being pampered by the big sis.
* I am very ill, feeling giddy and it seems like I am going to faint. My daughter asks me what's wrong and I tell her that I am going to faint. She holds my hand, walks me slowly to the bed and asks me to lie down. Then, she kisses me on my forehead and tells me that I will be alright. Would you believe that she is just 3 years old and she knows how to comfort an adult!
* The same day, when it is shower time for the kids, I am still too weak to give them a bath. I ask my daugther if she can bathe herself, while I will be there just sitting beside the bath tub to keep a watch. She says she will and insists on bathing her brother too! I am amazed at her, when I see she bathes him so well, applying soap to his body and shampoo to his hair, then rubbing over his back...she does everything that I do and not like a kid, but like a grown up. Throughout, she keeps telling him that mom is not well, so he should not trouble mom.
* I am putting my son to sleep at around 1 in the night (he woke up in mid-sleep that night), and I am so tired and sleepy that I am not able to pat him constantly. After a while, he sits up, leans towards me & I close my eyes, so that he may also do the same. But what he does is start patting me on my cheeks slowly with his little hands. I can't help smiling at his gesture of putting me to sleep.
* The kids are not willing to sleep, so I tell them I am going out of the room and they should sleep by themselves. My daughter starts singing lullaby, and tries putting herself & her bro to sleep! All I am able to utter is 'how cute!'
* I tell many stories of my childhood to my daughter, and she loves listening to them. They involve my bro, sis, cousins, friends etc. Many a times, my angel just comes over to me and says she wants to hear a story where...and she narrates the incident to me. Then, she asks me to tell her about it. Again, I smile at her innocence, and feel glad at her memory and at the thought that she really cherishes those little things I tell her about my childhood.
* I don't know how much my little one understands these 'stories' but he always rushes to me when he just hears the word 'story' from his sis. It is wonderful to see him come running and sitting in my lap, listening to my narration and then going 'uh?' 'eh?' at every pause. They way he twitches his face with these words is a treat to watch!

I know most of the times the kids learn these gestures from me only, I comfort them when they are ill or hurt, I pat them to sleep, sing lullaby etc. But then, when they actually remember it so well and even apply the same on me, it really means a lot. Sometimes, in such moments, my eyes fill with tears. At one such time, my daughter asked me why I was crying, and I told her those were happy tears. I don't know whether she understood it fully or not, but I would love to hear these words coming out of her mouth :-)

There are several such moments I love to be a part of, and I always thank God right then and there, so that He knows I am craving for more.

2 comments:

  1. Ah, the blessing of love and life!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sometimes we are too busy running after other things that take our focus away from the blessings God has showered upon us through its little angels...U r truly blessed to have two of God's most precious gifts..and i know u treasure them more than anything in the world.

    ReplyDelete

No anonymous comments, please.