Thursday, June 24, 2010

30!

As a kid, you always wait for the milestones in your life. Like, you know, sweet sixteen, adulthood, the twenties etc. As you get older, it's just another year added to your life span. Birthdays kind of lose their charm. Yes, but they nevertheless happen. So I turned 30. Hmmm...feel old by Indian standards, but still feel as if I just started living! The day was not at all exciting, yet there were surprises. Three surprise calls, from the friends of all important phases - a school friend, a college friend and an Infy friend called unexpectedly to give their wishes, and encouragement too :-)
The greatest part though was cutting the cake, because the kids were so excited with mom's big day that they ate all the icing off the cake even before formally cutting it :-P And, the happiness they felt in doing so made me 10 years younger. The visit to the temple and gurudwara after several years made the day complete. (There was a time when I used to visit these holy places everyday!)
You know, I have traditionally done what one is expected to do in India by the time they hit 30s. I got a decent education, good work experience with known companies, got married, had kids. So, it's time to do the unconventional now! Write a book, adventure sports, learn musical instruments or professional dancing...stuff that make up the dreams! Perhaps I started dreaming late; or rather started taking my dreams seriously quite late, yet it's better late than never. And that means I have less time to realize them and hence am in kind of rush to make it all happen...phew.
Staying at home gives one a chance to think a lot, and I was anyway a brooder, so got me deep into the process. That made me realize a few things. Our growing up conditions our minds in such a way that we cannot never be really happy without feeling guilty. I guess the happiness is elusive here. It's not like that everyone cannot be happy together. If everyone started with themselves, then eventually it will spread. Of course, some people just can't take this. Like the so called saviors of morality in our society. That's for some other serious post. This one ends on the note - wishing myself a year and a lifetime of happiness, health and prosperity. And as a friend said - a wonderful career, strong and healthy kids, a lifetime of happiness!
Another wonderful wish by my little sis - may the coming years bring so much happiness, peace and success that all the hardships of last few years are wiped off.

No comments:

Post a Comment

No anonymous comments, please.