Tuesday, August 21, 2012

So quoth Shiku...:-)

The funniest thing that happened in my house today...

I am dressing up Shiku after giving him a bath. He is used of asking several questions during bath time. Anyway, so today he says, "Chunchu didi said that girls are skin (meaning fair) color and boys are brown (meaning dark) color. Is it true?" I was surprised at the question and even at Chunchu's observations and I wondered she understood this courtesy which of the cartoon shows on TV. But I said to Shiku, "No dear. The color of the skin has nothing to do with guys and girls or any other factor." I gave him some examples of dark girls and fair boys from the family. And since, I did not want him to associate looks with skin color, I also told him, "Listen dear, God gave different skin color to everyone but He made them all beautiful." I was not prepared for what he said next!

He said, "But mama, why did God not make you beautiful?" Phew! OMG! Wow! How did that come about? OK, my illusion was shattered in that moment. No, not about my looks. I do not consider myself a beautiful person. I am just OK and I know it. Anyway...but I had always assumed that children found their mothers pretty because to them she is one person who loves them and nurtures them and is the first woman they know. I always found my mum pretty. I am yet to see any child who would, at the age of 4, say that their mom is not pretty. ALL children, before they hit the teens, consider their moms pretty. So why did my son have to be so different? Well, to say the truth, it did break my heart a little bit. But then I remembered the person Shiku thought was pretty.

We were watching the movie Aarakshan and Shiku coyly had remarked that he found the auntie on screen (Deepika Padukone) very beautiful. So I know his standards are high! I somehow mended my shattered heart telling myself that its OK if the child is not illusive.

Anyway, so the next thing Shiku remarks is, "Except that you look really beautiful in the frocks that you wear!" Ahh, so he likes a 'modern' mama who wears knee-length dresses, rather than the traditional mum he has got! Now I get it!

Later, I had a hearty laugh over his remark. And of course, Chunchu told me she thinks I am pretty. I guess that will help...till she also starts saying otherwise. :-)

2 comments:

No anonymous comments, please.